Greetings, RCP members! This is your News of the Week. Here’s what’s happening at the pool …
Much like Max Scherzer and the Nationals pitching staff reporting to camp signals the start of Spring, nothing says “Summer is here!” like Max McGervey and the hard-working Rock Creek Pool lifeguards scrubbing down the deck chairs! Thank you lifeguards!
AND NOW, HERE WE ARE … The pool officially opens Friday, May 24, at 3:30 p.m.! Enjoy a dip in the pool and then at 7 p.m. it’s the Welcome Back Happy Hour! Hang out in the grill area and enjoy drinks and apps. Catch up with old friends and make some new ones.
Memorial Day is packed! … We have a full day of fun planned at the pool this holiday.
- Cookout (11 a.m. – 2 p.m.) — One complimentary lunch package per member. We’ll have hamburgers, veggie burgers and hot dogs ready to devour.
- Live music by Valentine Slim (4 p.m. – 7 p.m.) — $5 bottomless cup for beer/wine.
- Sports introductory meetings (swim team 4-4:30 p.m. and dive team 4:30-5 p.m.) — You’ll also hear about tennis lesson opportunities!
Volunteers needed … our events need your help in order to run smoothly, especially the big ones! Please volunteer an hour of your time this Monday. We need grillers, servers, and set up and clean up crews. It doesn’t take much if a bunch of us chip in. Thank you!
Tennis, anyone? … Please join us for friendly pick-up doubles tennis Monday nights, 6.30 p.m. (adults only). E-mail email@example.com to be added to the mailing list (as times may vary during the year).
Swim team families — especially families new to the FINS — are encouraged to read Summer Swim 101 and Fins FAQs on the team website prior to Monday’s meeting.
Swim practice will begin at 5 p.m., Tuesday May 28, and will include a mandatory swim test for all 8-under swimmers who did not compete in meets last summer. The swim test will allow the coaches to make initial assignments to Future Fins, pre-team or swim team, and specific details will be sent in the coming days directly to those families with 8-under swimmers who need to be tested. The full summer practice schedule can be found here.
Finally, the June 7 deadline to register for the swim team is fast approaching, so please register your swimmers today! Please note that a late fee of $20 per swimmer will be assessed after June 7.
Fun with the Fins Dive Team on Memorial Day … Come to the diving well around 3 p.m. to meet Assistant Coach Emma Gold, learn about the dive team, see some diving, and have a popsicle (it is Monday Funday, after all). Anyone who is a diver, was a diver or wants to find out what it’s all about (no experience necessary) is welcome! Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Let’s Go FINS!
Social Calendar is set … Take a stroll past the water fountain and check out the 2019 social calendar. Upcoming events in June include:
- TRIVIA — Friday, June 7
- SCHOOL’S OUT MEGA-PARTY (Ice Cream/Teens Pick the Music and “The Greatest Showman”) — Friday, June 14
- KARAOKE — Saturday, June 22
- GAME NIGHT — Saturday, June 29
Some administrative tasks …
- All members (adults and kids) should have a current photo as part of their electronic ID.
- Buy your Daily Guest Passes in advance at the website.
- Know the Rules! Review the Rules & Regulations. Here’s one more to remember: Kids have to be potty-trained before they can enter the main pool. No exceptions!