WELCOME TO RC FINS DIVING!
The Fins Dive Team is a fun and active group of kids who love to dive! Any child member of Rock Creek Pool may join the dive team if they can swim one length of the pool and tread water for one minute in the deep end. Usually children age 6-18 are members of the dive team. The dive team welcomes children who have never tried diving before as well as those who have been on the team for years!
Rock Creek Pool is in Division I of the Montgomery County Diving League (MCDL). Other pools in our division include Merrimack Park, Glenwood, Mill Creek Towne and Tanterra.
Everything you need to know about the dive team is now at our new website.
PARENT INFORMATION MEETING
There will be a parent information session for new and returning divers on Memorial Day, Monday, May 27, at 4:00pm in the grill area of the pool. Please join us to hear about the program, sign up and meet the wonderful coaches for the 2019 season.
Until school is out
- Mondays – Fridays, May 28-June 14, 5:00pm–6:00pm or 6:00pm-7:00pm (come when you can)
After school is out
- Mondays – Fridays, June 17-July 12
- 8 & Unders 4:00pm-5:00pm
- 9-12 years 5:00pm-6:00pm
- 13 & Older 6:00pm-7:00pm
The first 15 minutes of each practice will be dryland (that means not in the water, on the deck) so pool members can use the boards from until 15 minutes after the hour. Dryland consists of stretching and conditioning. We hope to offer morning practices as well, but won’t confirm that until the coaching staff is set and their schedule is made.
2019 DIVE MEET SCHEDULE
The schedule will be available on the MCDL website at www.mcdiving.org. It will be under the tab 2019 Season.
- June 16 – 4:00pm Glenwood at Rock Creek Pool (arrive at 2:45pm for warm ups)
- June 23 – 4:00pm Rock Creek Pool at Tanterra (arrive at 3:15 pm for warm ups)
- June 30 – 4:00pm Flower Valley at Rock Creek Pool (this is a non-divisional meet) (arrive at 2:45pm for warm ups)
- July 7 – 4:00pm Rock Creek Fins at Mill Creek Towne (arrive at 3:15pm for warm ups)
- July 14 – 4:00pm Merrimack Park at Rock Creek Pool (arrive at 2:45pm for warm ups)
- July 15 – 5:00pm final Monday Funday popsicles and dive games for all divers
- July 21 – Division I divisional meet at TBD (arrive at 7:00am for all ages warm ups)
- July 21 – 5:00pm Swim and Dive Team Banquet at Rock Creek Pool
- July 24 – All Stars 12 & under – 3:00pm at Kennedy Shriver Aquatic Center
- July 25 – All Stars 13+ – 3:00pm at Kennedy Shriver Aquatic Center
Divers perform dives in their age group and compete at each Sunday meet. The 8 & Unders and 9-10 year-old divers perform 3 dives, 11-12 year-old divers perform 4 dives, 13-14 year-old divers perform 5 dives, and 16-18 year-old divers perform 6 dives. The divers are expected to arrive to the meet at about 3:00pm on Sundays and stay for the entire meet which usually lasts from 4:00pm – 7:30pm.
Divers are expected to wear a red and black swim suit to competitions. The team suit this year has yet to be confirmed. To buy one, either go to Capital Sport & Swim (10558 Metropolitan Ave, Kensington, MD 20895) and ask for the Fins suit or wait until they visit the pool which is still to be determined, but is often the first Friday evening in June. Feel free to use previous years’ suits if they still fit, or any red or black suit your child likes. Boys need to wear jammers or a Speedo to competitions instead of trunks.
We can’t have a dive season without all the awesome parents pitching in to pull it off! When you register your divers you will be able to sign up to help.
KEEP UP TO DATE WITH ALL THE FINS NEWS
Please send to DiveReps@RockCreekPool.com to get on our mailing list.
There is a lot of spirit when you are a RC Fin! There will be a spirited potluck dinner and pasta party each Friday night throughout the season. This is combined with the swim team. All families are welcome to bring a dish to share! The pep rally part of this party will happen at 7:00pm each week.
There will be a spirit theme announced for each week. Kids, parents and coaches are encouraged to come to the meets dressed for the theme (usually things like – beach, pajamas, animals, etc).
The registration fee for the dive team is $100 per child. There is also a $15 MCDL insurance fee per child. You must pay both in order to participate in practices. If your child decides not to stay on the team, please let us know by June 10 and we will refund your registration fee.
We look forward to a wonderful summer season!
Your RC Fins Dive Team parent reps!